Labels

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Herbed Chicken Over Rice

Today, I was a lazy lump. My husband wasn't feeling well and I took that excuse to lay around myself. I didn't even want to go to the grocery store for dinner ingredients, so I made dinner with what I had on hand.

Before I got started, I set up my garbage station. I got the idea from Rachael Ray, who always has a garbage bowl on her counter when she cooks. All trash goes into the bowl, saving trips to the trash can. I modified it by lining the bowl with a plastic grocery bag for easy clean-up. When meal prep is done, just pull up the handles on the bag and throw the whole thing away!



Now on to dinner. First, I diced onion, carrots, and celery.


I sprinkled them with salt, then sautéed the veggies over medium heat in some olive oil, until soft.

Meanwhile, I started some Jasmine rice. (I only made Jasmine rice because I was out of Uncle Ben's 5-minute rice.)

Once the onion, carrot and celery were soft (about 5 minutes), I added some chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces, and sprinkled with salt.


I turned the heat up to medium-high, and sautéed the chicken until no longer pink. It was't quite cooked all the way through. I sprinkled a heaping tablespoon of flour over the chicken and veggies, then stirred it in and cooked for a couple of minutes. 

I added a cup of chicken broth. (Actually I added a teaspoon of chicken base dissolved in a cup of hot water since I didn't have chicken broth). I also added some chopped fresh herbs: parsley, basil, thyme, oregano and basil. I grow all but the parsley in pots on my deck. 

I stirred it well, covered it, and turned the heat to low. I let it simmer a few minutes until the chicken was cooked through, and the sauce had thickened.



While the rice and chicken cooked, I cut up some plums. I added blueberries and had a great fruit salad. (I tend to be a purist about fruit. I generally prefer it uncooked, and without sauce or dressing.)


Once the rice was finished, I fluffed it with a fork. I added a little parsley for color. And because I had chopped too much for the chicken dish. I hate wasted effort!


To serve, I put the rice in a shallow pasta bowl and spooned the chicken mixture over the top.


Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment