Labels

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Refrigerator Scramble

We had a great weekend away and got back into town this afternoon. I didn't want to go to the grocery store, so I decided to make do with the bits of leftovers in the fridge.

First, I found a small zucchini languishing in the vegetable drawer, along with a few broccoli florets left in a package. I chopped the zucchini and separated the broccoli into smaller florets, then sliced a green onion I had left from the weekend.


I added a little olive oil to a medium-high skillet, added the veggies and a little kosher salt, covered the pan, and sautéed them until they softened and took on a little color.


While they cooked, I cut up some summer sausage I had left from the weekend. (It was really good on crackers!)


Once the veggies were ready, I added the sausage to the pan to warm up.


Meanwhile, I added 3 whole eggs and 4 egg whites to a bowl and whisked them to blend, along with a pinch of salt and a splash of water. The egg whites add volume without adding many calories. I usually would have added milk, but no grocery store trip = no milk.

I turned the pan down to medium low, and added the eggs.


While the dish cooked, I made some quick grits. I also shredded some sharp cheddar, both for the scramble and the grits. (I was going to be fancy and use some Monterey Jack I found, but alas, I realized I found it a little too late. Oops!)


Once the eggs were set, I added some cheese, turned off the heat, and put the lid back on for a minute to melt the cheese.  (By the way, this dish would be an omelet if I could make it work. After many tries, I've quit trying to make it an omelet and realized it wants to be a scramble. This has nothing to do with my skill of course...)


Then I added the rest of the cheese to the grits and stirred it in.


Here it is all plated up. It's not exactly something you'd serve to impress your audience, but it's tasty and filling.


The point of this scramble is that you just make it out of whatever you have in the refrigerator. It's not something I ever buy ingredients to make; I just make it as an easy use-up for odds and ends I don't want to have to throw out.  Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment