Labels

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Salmon and Prayer

Salmon...

A couple of nights ago I cooked the first of the salmon we caught in Alaska. I'm just learning to like the taste of salmon, but, by golly, I stood in 39-degree water to catch those suckers, so I'm gonna eat 'em!

They are Sockeye, or Red Salmon. And they are really red, even after you cook them!


I decided to cook it very simply the first time so I'd know what I'd be dealing with for the next 30 pounds or so. (That's right, people, I have LOTS of salmon in my freezer.)  I just drizzled it with olive oil, salt and pepper, and baked it. It was pretty good. I look forward to trying different recipes for marinades and glazes, and to breaking out the cedar planks I bought.

I also steamed some corn. Don't look too closely or you'll see that I'm not exactly a perfectionist about removing all the silks. Extra fiber, I say!


Add a green salad and fruit, and that was dinner.

Something tells me that I (and the friends we traveled with) will have a bit of expertise with the cooking of salmon after a few months!

... and Prayer

We met for our second week of Bible study tonight. This week's study had a lot to do with prayer, something I am very undisciplined about. We were also challenged to figure out what breaks our hearts, and how that will impact our lives.

Nehemiah was living a nice life, with a great job. He had the respect and trust of the king. But he heard that the walls of Jerusalem were in shambles and his people, the Israelites, were in great distress. He took a huge risk and asked the king to be sent to Jerusalem to rebuild the walls.

His heart was broken for someone else, and he did something about it. But only after months of prayer, so he would know exactly what to do. There is so much for me to learn there.

I know that not nearly enough things break my heart. I'll be praying that God reveals His heart to me during this study. I'll also be praying that I take the time to be still long enough to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment